Overworked and Underpaid
Over-worked and Under-paid
As a teacher I never imagined being a billionaire but I never imagined to be poverty class neither! It sicken me to my stomach just thinking about my salary wages. Some McDonald workers get paid more than me. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with working at a fast food restaurant, but if I wanted to be mediocre and be aright making medium-wage, in this capital world I reside in, I wouldn't have went to school and owe Salle Mae thousands of dollars to be Over-Worked and Under-Paid. I worked and studied my behind off to get where am at today! Physically, emotionally, and spiritually I devoted, I sacrificed too much for this slapped on the face. It's an embarrassment and an insult to all educators, and fellow co-workers.
The amount of work I put into my career is unfathomable. Not only am I the teacher I'm also the custodian (because we haven't had a janitor in 7 months) and everything else in between. I love what I do and I do it well. But It gets hard waking up and loving what I do, living pay check to pay check. Why Do I stay? Why complain? I ask myself these questions everyday. First I love what I do, second I know this is just temporary, third it is a ten-minute drive from home.
After all the research and scientific evidences of how important and crucial early childhood education is to an individual more needs to be done and fast! With that being said, I hope one day to be in a position of power, be the voice of reason, make a difference and be the change I want to see.
Over-Worked and Under-Paid
"Dreams Begin with Teachers"
Paola,
ReplyDeleteYou've brought up a problem that has been a constant issues over the past decade or more. Teachers, whether in early, secondary or higher education don't receive adequate pay or recognition for their work. Teachers from all areas of education do put more time and effort into their classroom, lesson plans and curriculums and don't have much to show for it- except for the knowledge that they are providing a necessary service for the future generation that are going to be in charge of this country later in life.
However, there are many individuals out there advocating for this very issue. It's a long process sadly and I don't have much knowledge in the area. However, I have come across many journal articles and newspaper articles to know that there are individual fighting for us. How do we become part of that movement? I'm not quite sure.
I don't feel that I am personally at the level I need to be to begin to advocate for better pay and education opportunities for our field; I do hope one day I will be ready to fight for those rights and be well prepared to do so. Until then, I will offer my support, my insights and my wisdom with those who are fighting and with those who are feeling the same as you.
Paola
ReplyDeleteThis is one drawback I hear from a lot of teachers. I live in the deep south, so we are all experiencing this same feat because of our lower standard of cost (is what is said). It's disheartening to know that you hold degrees and can't make more than this or that because of the so called "market value". I don't plan to be a billionaire, but I'd like to start with our future leaders, our children and leading them in the right direction for their lives. I can't fix everything or everyone, but I hope that in my next 25 years I can become a positive for somebody's life.
Hi Paola!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with your blog post. I have been a Lead Teacher of my Daycare for five years (today) and I fully believe we are over worked and underpaid. We as teachers are left in charge to look over and guide a parent's most precious gift and there is nothing in return for it. I love learning from these children they teach me new things everyday, I love spending my days with them and I fully feel appreciated from the parent's aspect. However, from the job aspect it is so hard to feel appreciated and useful when there is so little to show for it.
Thank You ladies for your understanding, sharing your frustration and opinions toward this topic that is so sensitive and embarrassing for me to discuss openly.
ReplyDelete